Wednesday, December 7, 2011

From Nonoc Falls to Balagbag Falls

Nonoc Falls was all mine. Nobody was there except myself. There was still drizzling when I reached the falls. I took shelter at a hut near the falls, unpacked my food, and had a quick meal of pancit canton, pork chop and rice.

Nonoc Falls

I rested a bit before plunging into the pool by the falls. The cool water was so refreshing. I would have lingered longer if not for my plan to pass by Balagbag Falls before I head back home.


After thirty minutes at Nonoc Falls, I put on some dry clothes and packed away my stuffs. It was already past 3:00 p.m. when I started heading out to Balagbag. Ten minutes later, I reached the dirt road.

It’s hard to find a tricycle in this remote part of Real. I had to walk the two-kilometer distance to Balagbag.


The dirt road runs along the rugged coast of Real. Accompanied by the constant crashing of waves, I made my way to Balagabag amidst the gloomy weather. It feels surreal. If not for the electrical poles that dot the roadside, I’d say civilization is nil.




Thirty minutes later I was at the entrance to Balagbag Falls. At the entrance, I paid the P20 fee. This minimal fee goes a long way in keeping the falls clean. I’ve seen how the caretakers try to keep the area clean all the time.

Balagbag Falls

Again, I have Balagbag Falls all to myself. This is why I always go for a weekday trip; there are less people, or if you’re lucky, nobody at all. This has been my third time here but the beauty of the three-tiered falls has never failed to amaze me. Balagbag Falls is the grandest of all waterfalls in Real.


I left my belongings at a cottage and climbed to the main cascade. The thundering crash of the falls and being in the midst of towering trees is quite overwhelming. It’s simply awesome.


I didn’t stay long up there as it started to drizzle. I don’t wanna be swept away in case there’s a sudden deluge of water raging down from the mountain above.

I slowly made my way down and settled where an artificially made cascade drops. It felt like being in a Jacuzzi in a spa.

I lingered for an hour and a half at Balagbag. I wasn’t equipped to spend the night here so I had to pack up and leave by 5 p.m. It’s a three-kilometer-and-a-half trek back to the highway in Tignoan.


At past 5 p.m. I started my trek back to the Tignoan. Tired and a little sleepy, I trudged my way back to the junction. I got to the junction an hour later.


From the junction I intended to go to the Talipapa to buy some tuyo (sun-dried fish) or daing na pusit (sun-dried squid), which is two kilometers away.


Fortunately, I was able to catch a Talipapa-bound tricycle at the junction. I got to the Talipapa in no time. Talipapa is lined with dish dealers. You can buy clams, groupers, Mackerel scad, slipper lobsters, shrimps, squid, sting rays and tiger prawns. Some stores even do the cooking of the seafood you buy at a minimal cost.
Mackerel Scad


Slipper Lobster 


Tiger Prawn

Real, Quezon, has been experiencing a wet weather for quite some time that I had a hard time finding tuyo or daing. I managed to buy some at a couple of shops.

I waved a passing bus to Infanta, where I boarded the 8 p.m. bus back to Manila.


Indeed, my trip to Real, Quezon was a wonderful experience. I got to enjoy two falls: Balagbag and Nonoc, in solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Infolinks In Text Ads

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...