Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Finding Nonoc Falls

The coastal town of Real, Quezon, lies on the east coast of Luzon facing the Pacific Ocean. Travel time to this idyllic town is between four to five hours driving over 145 kilometers of road from Manila.

image by: wikimedia.org

One Friday morning of November, I embarked on my third trip to Real, Quezon, to see Nonoc Falls. Although this was my third time, I was still filled with excitement; it’s my first solo trip to Real.

The first time was with my photography and laboy friends. The second time was with my cousin, where we camped overnight at Balagbag falls with the rain pouring hard and winds howling; we didn’t know that there was a tropical depression at that time.

What I planned this time was just a day trip in Real. Good thing I checked the weather forecast on the Internet before heading out. The forecast for Real that day was mostly cloudy with scattered rain showers and thunderstorms. And so, I waterproofed my gadgets. I only started to pack my stuffs just an hour before I left the house. To keep my expenses at a minimum, I packed along some food and drinks for the trip.

I left Parañaque at 6:00 a.m. and after riding a tricycle, a jeepney, the Light Rail Transit (LRT) and another jeepney, finally, I made it to Raymond Bus Terminal in Sampaloc, Manila.

An Infanta-bound regular bus (non-aircon) was already half-filled with passengers when I got there. I settled at a rear seat by the window. Be it a bus, catamaran or plane, window seat has always been my preferred choice.

The bus left the terminal a little past 9:00 a.m. There was a mass at the terminal and we had to wait for it to end before the bus could depart. Traffic has already started to build up as the bus navigated through the thoroughfares out of Manila.

The weather was clear that day in Manila and I hoped it would be the same in Real despite of the weather forecast.

It’s not fun being stuck in traffic and you inhaling all the pollution. That’s the downside of taking a non air-conditioned bus. I was able to heave a sigh of relief when we exited Antipolo City.

We passed by the towns of Rizal and Laguna. This route to Real is scenic and got a good vista of Laguna de Bay.


We reached Famy at around noontime and our bus had a 15-minute pit stop at the terminal. Most passengers got off the bus to get a quick bite at an eatery nearby while I stayed on the bus and munched on some snacks that I got.


It’s an uphill drive right after Famy. The road cuts through the Sierra Madre. In less than two hours we would be in Real, Quezon. Overall, the road over the Sierra Madre is paved except on some areas where an ongoing road repaving is being done.


The zigzagging road over the Sierra Madre lulled me to sleep. I needed to catch some sleep; I haven’t had any sleep the previous night.

It was raining when I got off at the junction in Tignoan in Real. I didn’t have any idea where Nonoc Falls is. If I don’t go to Nonoc falls, my next choice was Balagbag Falls, which is more than three kilometers away. Getting there on foot under the rain would be a challenge.

It so happened that there were three of us who got off the bus in Tignoan. We chanced upon a tricycle waiting for passengers heading the same way we were all going. With the rain pouring I didn’t hesitate riding my way to Nonoc or Balagbac falls, which I intend to walk if not for the rain.

I asked my fellow passenger if he knew where Nonoc Falls is and he told me it’s not far from Balagbag Falls. I thanked him for the information. He got off ahead of me. I told the tricycle driver to drop me off at Nonoc instead of Balagbag.

The rain has stopped when I reached the vicinity of Nonoc Falls. There were no sign to lead me there but only an instruction from the driver to cross the river and follow the trail.

A narrow footbridge spanning a raging river

Across the river is a small community. I crossed a makeshift footbridge. I asked a girl, who was watching a small store, for directions and how far is the falls. She told me to just go straight and the falls is a bit far.

Direct-To-Home Satellite television!

Now that got me thinking. The definition of far in the countryside is different in a sense to that in the city. I guess it’s an hour trek to the falls.

Having lost which trail to follow, I went to a group of boys playing not far from where I first asked for directions. Again, I asked the same question. They pointed to me the trail to follow. No one wanted to guide me there if though I volunteered to pay. I had no intention of getting lost in the forest of Real.



I followed the trail the boys pointed to me until it led me straight to the river with no waterfalls in sight. I turned back thinking I took the wrong trail. There was a fork on the trail further back. Going back to the fork I checked if taking the other trail would take me to the falls. Thinking that it would just lead me up to the hills I decided to go back to the first trail I took.


When I reached the end of the trail by river I took the chance of just following the river. I trudged the shallow river; nearing a bend, I could hear the crashing sound of a waterfall.


Nonoc Falls appeared right after the bend. I was thrilled to finally see Nonoc Falls. It wasn’t elusive after all.




Surprisingly, the trail to the falls isn’t that far. My trek back to the road from the falls was only ten minutes.

1 comment:

  1. nice, thanks for posting this sir. We are actually planning to visits some falls in Quezon. Pro mejo limited yun mga information posted sa net. thanks for this one. ~ Jek

    ReplyDelete

Infolinks In Text Ads

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...